Monday, October 09, 2006

The Weekend

Things have been really crazy at our house. It's the downside of a dual-career household, I guess. Jason worked late every night last week. He worked all day on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday. And he still didn't get all of his work done. And, of course, I didn't get any work done but I did get to spend some time with Aidan. And Jason and I both get to start our week off so stressed out that we can't think straight enough to get anything done now either!

Because Jason has been gone so much and when he is around we've been tag-teaming childcare, Aidan became very clingy on Sunday. Whenever Jason was near Aidan would not let go of Mommy for fear that she was on her way to do something. It made me feel bad for him that his parents are often so busy that there is no time when the three of us are just together. I guess I thought last week in D.C. would last but he's long forgotten about that family time we had together so long ago. Because of my own work and Aidan's anxiety, I've decided not to go with Jason to New York. Nana will be here to help too, so Aidan will be happier than if both Jason and I were gone. As soon as Jason gets back from NYC we will plan an outing for the three of us.

On Saturday Aidan and I found ourselves at the YMCA swimming and playing basketball. We have a good time there and it's usually not too crowded, which has become a major issue for me. Afterward we tried to go to Chickfila for lunch but it was so packed that I couldn't go in there. To be perfectly honest, sometimes it's difficult for me to manage Aidan in public by myself. My anxiety about that fact is exacerbated by crowds. Aidan was upset that we couldn't eat there but I was relieved when he was satisfied with the much quieter, even if less healthy, McDonald's.

On Saturday evening Jason was still working and Uncle Stevie called to say that he was singing just outside of Lexington. I knew that Stevie could help with Aidan if it was more than I could handle, so we went out to see Stevie's group perform. Aidan had never seen Stevie on stage before and he had an overwhelmed look on his face the entire time.

We got there just in time to hear the group being introduced and Aidan jumped up on my lap. We were outside, so I wasn't sure how long Aidan would stay put. He stared at his uncle up there singing and didn't make a peep. I was amazed at his sustained attention. The first time the horse drawn buggy went by Aidan didn't even notice. The second time, closer to the end of the show, the horses came closer to the stage and caught Aidan's eye. He immediately asked to see the horses. I told him we'd go as soon as Uncle Stevie's show was over. He turned and continued to listen. After the song was over, he asked again. I repeated that the show would be over soon and we'd go then. After the next song, he asked again and was told the same thing. Finally, a few song later, the show was over and Uncle Stevie went with us to visit the horses. Aidan was so excited to pet the horses and was beaming! He's talked non-stop about that since then.

Other than all of us being a little out of sync and off schedule, I'd say Aidan is doing pretty well these days. His language development continues to amaze us. It's so fascinating to watch how he picks up and uses new words and then transitions into complete sentences. Today at school the fire truck is visiting. He'll be very excited and I can't wait to hear all about it when I see him this afternoon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fire trucks are still awesome when you're 45!