Friday, September 25, 2009

The Corn Maize

Aidan's class went out to a local corn maze today, so I volunteered to drive him and his two best friends. They were quite a handful but at least there was plenty to keep them occupied. First we went on a hayride where they all chose their very own pumpkin. Aidan insisted on finding a small one, which means his is green. But he didn't seem to mind even though orange is his favorite color. He definitely has the contrarian gene. I'm just wondering if it's a dominant gene from one side or two recessives. Hard to say.

Then we rode back to eat lunch. I was so happy to have a nice, nutritious turkey sandwich with carrots for Aidan and me but then one of the friends had to go to the restroom and when I returned Aidan had found the chocolate chip cookies I'd stashed in the bag. So much for getting him to eat his lunch!

After lunch we saw the chickens, who the boys took turns screaming at and then went on to visit the pigs. I looked over and saw Aidan walking far away from the group and when I asked him where he was going he yelled, "I'm getting far away from those pigs! They stink!" Honestly, I wasn't sure if the smell was coming from the pigs or the six outhouses nearby.

When we were finally able to go into the maze (you should look at the link, it's shaped like the Texas Tech Red Raider), the boys were so excited. After explaining the rules (no smoking, no running, no picking corn, and no throwing corn) we were ready to go. Lucky for us, the organizers had put a popcorn path down for us so that we wouldn't get lost and would end up where we started. The boys found lots of interesting things on their journey and each had to find a full ear of corn that had already fallen on the ground. Fortunately, they were asked not to take it home.

On the ride home the three boys fought over toys. Then they had a screaming contest, part of which I joined them in. The screaming contest was actually preferred over the fighting. And then we played a game similar to eye spy that ended just as we pulled into the school parking lot.

And at the end of my day I'm extremely grateful that 1) I only have one kid; 2) I have a sitter for this evening; 3) I work; 4) I only have one kid.

No comments: