
Anyone who truly knows us looks at us kinda funny when they hear that we've enrolled Aidan in an Episcopal school. When we moved to Texas and took him out of the Jewish preschool in Kentucky, he asked us how he'd continue to be Jewish since there was no Jewish school here. We had to explain that we're not actually Jewish and he went with that. Then there were the questions once he began attending the Episcopal school. Once we explained that Jesus was Jewish, the questions slowed down.
And now that he's approaching first grade (I know, I can't believe it either) he and his classmates will be regular participants in the morning chapel. He brought home a calendar earlier this month that explained that each child is currently being groomed for acolyte. Now, keep in mind that we rarely even get there by the start of chapel and this note said he'd have to be there by 7:45 AM to participate.
I must admit that I had concerns about his participation in a ritual that was so far outside of our belief system. But, in reality, every other child would participate and it probably wouldn't make any difference in the long run. Plus, once I heard that they don't actually light the candles, I figured it couldn't hurt to let him do it.
So this morning was the morning. Jason and I both went to watch. The chaplain walked the kids through what to do and Aidan appeared to listen. And then, once chapel started, the kids walked one by one and two by two to the front of the room, each carrying a cross, candle, or banner.
Now, this is where I figured psychology would come into play. Usually kids will follow whatever the other kids are doing. I mean, he was following them and you'd think he'd just do what they do. We do this with undergraduates all the time. You know, if there are a few people standing on campus in a wide open space looking up, other students walking by will start looking up. It's social compliance and if undergraduates are susceptible, kindergartners should be as well.
So, anyway, you'd think that he'd be watching the other kids and do what they do. But not Aidan. He was so excited that he put the candle in the wrong holder, which was corrected by a teacher (but Aidan didn't care). Then he ran over to the chairs where all the other kids were standing still and silent. Aidan jumped up on his chair as if celebrating a great victory, after which he was again corrected by a teacher.
I realized at that moment that Aidan really will be just like us. He'll never do what everyone else is doing. He'll be stubborn and willful. He probably won't be a rule follower. And the reality is, I'd prefer it that way.
No comments:
Post a Comment