Thursday, July 20, 2006

Just So Much To Do

We've had a ton of stuff going on this week. On Sunday Jason and I decided to put the house off and spend some time with Aidan. He seemed like he needed some time with us. We went to the neighborhood pool. We told him we were going and he started freaking out, running around the house, helping get his stuff together, saying "swimming, swimming, drive" over and over while trying to sign the words. When we got to the pool it was obvious why his teachers claim that he's fearless around water. He loves it! The pool we go to has a baby pool that's a couple of feet deep and has two water slides and lots of fountains squirting water all over the place. He went down both slides by himself, although he could see that Mommy was going to catch him at the bottom. The adult pool has a zero depth section where he can just walk out until it gets too deep. He walked out (we stayed within reach, of course) until he could barely hold his head above the water. Next year it's swimming lesson time!

Monday night we went to a birthday party for Sadie's mommy and we got to see all of our dear friends from playgroup. Aidan had so much fun playing with them again. If I ever get this dissertation proposal finished, we'll be taking Mondays off to attend playgroup again but for now it was nice to catch up with them.

Both Sunday and Monday were very hot days and lots of non-stop playing. Aidan gets too busy to stop for water, so it wasn't too surprising when Aidan's teacher called me Tuesday afternoon to tell me that Aidan was acting strangely. She said that they'd been outside some but that she always makes sure that the kids drink. After his nap Aidan sat down at the table and started drinking water. He just kept asking for more and kept drinking until finally the teacher realized he'd been doing this for 2 hours. Thinking this was peculiar, she called me but Jason and I both explained that he was most likely a little dehydrated from his busy Sunday and Monday. Plus it was 105 degrees on Tuesday.

Yesterday Uncle Stevie came to visit to help us get all the stuff done on the house. Really he helped distract Aidan so that we could work on the screen porch, which was quite helpful. He's decided to stick around until Saturday to help out. I think with him here we'll be able to get all of our stuff done before the party. Aidan is so excited to have Uncle Stevie. The first thing he asked for this morning was to go upstairs to see him. Although Uncle Stevie was very tired, he tolerated being woken up well and even came downstairs to see us before we left for school. I felt sort of bad for him but I knew he could sleep today while we were gone if he wants to.

At school today they had a giant blow-up water slide that empties into a small pool. Aidan was very excited about it. I'm looking forward to hearing about how much fun he had when I pick him up this afternoon. His teacher speculated that he'd be one of the few kids asking to go down the slide. He's a little mad man. Yesterday his teacher told Jason that although he's not the fastest, he's the most coordinated of the bunch. She thinks he's going to be an athlete. Of all the sports, I'd like to see him play soccer. It just seems less violent than others but I'm sure he'll pick something like Rugby.

No comments: