Monday, July 10, 2006

Weekend Happenings

We had a pretty good weekend but this morning didn't go so well. He's doing great with his sleeping. For the last 2 nights he's gone down around 9:30 pm, woken around 2 am, and then up around 6:30 am. I've tried to get him down earlier but 9:30 or 10 pm seems to be it. At 2 am both nights I've gone in, told him to lay down, offered him water, and then laid down with him until he gets to sleep. He's not quite as insistent these days about nursing in the middle of the night but he still asks. Can't blame a kid for trying!

On Friday night we had Jereme and Jody over to cookout. Aidan had a pretty good time but we had quite a setback on potty training. Apparently on Friday they put him on the potty twice at school. He lost it both times. There's something about school that is just uncomfortable for him. On Friday night he sat on the potty once and peed. Then later after bath he had naked baby time. I thought he had to poopy but he said he didn't have to go when I asked him. Ok, so before I tell this story I have to warn you that it might gross you out. And for a preview, the moral is never let a potty training kid sit on your lap naked. So there we were, Aidan in my lap, reading his book. Suddenly he got up to reveal that he'd pooped in my lap! And I had on white pants! Yuck! I guess he was confused about whether he had on a diaper. I knew to expect accidents, but this was disgusting. He then sat on the potty for a few minutes on Saturday but didn't do anything. We've decided to give him some space and let him choose. He's already made some huge progress.

Both Saturday and Sunday Aidan went to the pool with his daddy. Jason says they had a great time and that Aidan is getting better and better about being in the water. Our neighborhood pool has a baby pool complete with baby slides, water squirters, fountains, etc. And next to that is the playground. Even the adult pool has zero depth entry, so he can splash around there as well. It's important to us that Aidan get lots of exposure to water so that he is not afraid and that he eventually will learn how to swim. Because I have such fond memories of visiting my grandparent's lake house as a kid, I want him to have that too. I told Jason that someday (after I have a job, obviously) I'd like to have a little lake or beach cottage to visit. Then Aidan can have similar memories!

That brings us to this morning. Aidan did everything he could to put off going to school. As it got closer to time to go, he asked to color. Then he asked to listen to music. He wouldn't cooperate with me to get dressed. I sat down with him and said that I understand that he doesn't want to go to school but that Mommy had to work and that he wouldn't have much fun at work with Mommy. He'd have more fun at school. Then I asked him why he didn't want to go to school. He said, "Mommy play!" He wants to play with Mommy! I said, "You want to play with Mommy instead?" And he said, "Mommy 'stead!" In desperation, I said, "Well, if you are a good boy and go to school today Nana will come to visit you tomorrow." He immediately changed his tune!

Of course, then I had to call Nana to make sure she was still coming. I would die if she changed her plans and then he thought he'd done something wrong! I really need to watch making those sorts of statements. It was an act of desperation! Luckily, Nana says she is coming tonight or tomorrow.

No comments: