Monday, June 05, 2006

Wow! So Much Going On!

Friday night we went to dinner with Kim, Jay, and Ruby. Aidan met Ruby for the first time, she's only 3 weeks old. It's hard to remember when Aidan was as small. I like him a lot better now. I do not miss the constant nursing and incessant screaming. I love the little personality he is developing these days (even if sometimes he's stubborn or demanding). One of my jobs as his mommy is to get to know his personality and temperament and then help him to navigate the world in a socially appropriate way with the tools he was given. Now, Aidan has started out with a variety of characteristics. He gets stubborn, aggressive, competitive, demanding from both gene pools. But he also gets positive emotionality, sensation seeking, extroversion, and others from both as well. Looking at these characteristics, I see a variety of occupations that he'll be well suited for. The trick is not only helping him learn how to deal with his frustration, but also teaching him to "win friends and influence people." Oh, what a job we have cut out for us!

Saturday Jason went to Kansas City, so Aidan and I were on our own all day. And what a fun day it was! First we met Jay, Kim, and Ruby at the park for a picnic. Afterward we went to the fish market. Aidan loved the fish market. He was running around pointing and saying, "fish!" After we got our fish, we went home for naptime. Unfortunately, he only took a 30 minute nap so by the time Sabrina arrived he was cranky. I went to work for a few hours and Sabrina tells me that he had a very frustrating time. He apparently kept hitting and throwing toys, so he spent a whole lot of time in his room. It seems like every time he goes through one of these aggressive phases he is developing another skill. Let's hope that is happening now because I'm not interested in this being a general theme of our lives.

Sunday Jason came home. Aidan was so excited to see his daddy. Jereme and Jody came over to help with the fence. Jason and Jereme built a picket fence from the house to the garage so that Aidan won't wander into the driveway anymore. Sometimes he tries to run down the driveway. It's very stressful for the adult in attendance. Anyway, we grilled out fish and vegetables while the guys worked hard on the fence. Aidan played outside most of the time, and was very sleepy after everyone left. He was sleeping so well that Jason and I were able to primer it after Aidan went to bed.

This morning Aidan did pretty well. When we got to school his class was not in their room. There was one teacher and one kid in the diaper changing room but everyone else was outside. Aidan started to fuss, so I knelt down and hugged on him. I told him that he would have a lot of fun today and Mommy will see him later after Daddy picks him up. When the kid getting his diaper changed came out of the little room, Aidan lit up and started giggling and dancing. He ran over and they started to play. The teacher picked Aidan up and they all went outside. Aidan never looked back. He's doing so well. No real tears at drop-off in the new classroom so far. It's a record!

No comments: