Sunday, February 04, 2007

Aidan's Half Birthday

As I woke up this morning I could hear this little voice humming "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." It was the cutest thing ever! Sometimes I just cannot stand how cute he is. I must have been a very bored person before I met him. I mean, I love Jason and all, but never has he been as adorable as Aidan.

Jason was on his way out today again, so we were busy trying to get ready for our time apart. Today was Aidan's 2 1/2 birthday, so we had half a cake. I'm not sure Aidan understood the half birthday, but he understood that there was cake. He ate three pieces of cake the first time we ate it at his afternoon nap. Then, after dinner, he said sort of as an afterthought, "Mommy, I need food." I offered apples. "Nope!" "Bananas?" "Nope!" "Raisins?" "Nope! Mommy, I need cake, please!" Yes, he had that on his mind all along-- way back when he casually mentioned that he needed food. As Jason was leaving I was very concerned about being here with a cake, thinking that the responsibility of eating it would fall to me. Little did I know, I'll have to eat it to save my darling son from it. Although I may just let him eat it. As long as he's eaten more nutritious foods first and brushes his teeth really well, it'll hurt him less than me.

Tonight we built a fort in the living room. They seemed so much bigger when we were kids. I think that was what prompted him to ask for food since we were sitting in the fort when he asked and then we ate our cake in the fort. Even Simon joined us inside our hideout.

Speaking of hiding out, we enjoyed a very humorous game of hide-and-go-seek today too. First of all, he gets too excited to really remember how to count to ten, so he gets confused and it comes out more like, "three, nine, ten, eleven, four, eight, ten!" Then he will go to a place where he thinks I am hiding, creep up to it, and then jump to look with his hands up as if he's 100% sure that I'll be there. I'm usually not. When he does find me it's the greatest thing ever. When it's his turn to hide he will hide in exactly the same place I hid. This makes it sort of easy, so of course, I run around every room calling out for him. Unfortunately for him, he gets so excited when I get close that he'll do one of several things: he'll giggle uncontrollably; he'll jump out at me and scream, "Here I am!"; or he'll just call out to me to tell me where he is as if he believes that I really am having a lot of trouble finding him.

Overall I'd say we had a really fun time together today. Although he did get two time outs after Daddy left. He likes to test the waters right away when Daddy leaves. This really makes no sense to me in our family, I think it must just be biological. I mean, if one of us was the primary disciplinarian, I'd be able to understand his tests. But really, we both discipline him and I probably do so more than Jason does just because my boundaries of behavior are stricter than Jason's. Oh well, he'll just continue to get time outs until he starts behaving.

No comments: