Saturday, July 21, 2007

Baseball, What Else?

Last night Aidan and I spent some time at the baseball park. He's a boy possessed by the baseball bug. He begged me to take him to the batting cages "with the dirt." Since I'd never taken him to Shillito-- Jason always takes him out there-- I didn't really know where to go. Once I found the baseball park, Aidan knew exactly where to go next. We practiced for a while, watched for a while, and then practiced some more.

Baseball parks are interesting. There were five games going on at once, kids playing, parents yelling. Aidan took it all in. He commented to me that boy running around didn't have a ball. He couldn't understand why they wouldn't have a ball at a baseball park. He wouldn't leave until it was dark and it was clear that everyone was leaving.

Afterward we ate at Fazoli's, where we ran into a woman who asked us if we had been at the baseball park. I said yes and she went on about how she had been watching us and how I had been "really working with him." I sort of laughed and said, "Yeah, well, it's really all him. He's the one who loves it and asks us to pitch to him. We're learning right along with him." She looked at me like I was somehow covering up for being a pushy parent and said, "Well, I saw you working with him." I guess I am "working with him" in the sense that I go along with him when he wants to practice. He'll hit for a while, then catch, and then pitch. I just follow his lead.

First thing he asked for this morning was to go back out to the baseball park. He settled for practicing in the backyard. He passed on a trip to feed the ducks, a trip to the bookstore, and trip to Meijer. I'm telling you, he's obsessed!

No comments: