Thursday, August 16, 2007

When The Cat's Away...

...the mice really do play! While Simon was off at his kitty spa and we were in D.C., a little mouse moved in. We saw evidence of it right away (of course) and threw out the snack drawer food that he'd has his way with. Aidan has been somewhat fascinated with the idea of Simon eating the mouse and has asked several mornings if Simon ate our mouse overnight. He finally stopped asking after consecutive negative responses.

Last night I heard some weird sounds, so I made Jason get up to check the doors. When Jason didn't come back I got worried that a burglar had silently murdered him and was rummaging through our things (because I could hear lots of weird scratching and thumping). Turns out Simon had gotten the mouse and Jason was watching the torture. Jason finally trapped the mouse in a tall trashcan and put him out in the garage so that Aidan could see him this morning. Because the mouse was very still, Aidan asked if it were dead. It wasn't. Just scared.

I think Aidan was fascinated that Simon had caught the little mouse. After they left for school I took the mouse over to a church parking lot and set it free. The poor little thing looked so sad. Hopefully he won't find his way back over to our house because there are no second chances.

No comments: