I guess I forget that kids are new here. If they haven't seen something in their short lives, they don't know anything about it. And sometimes I forget that Aidan is only exposed to the things we have exposed him to. Some people (like the Nana) have said that he's a very lucky boy to be exposed to all the things he's seen and done. He's been on an airplane more time than some adults. He's been to the Smithsonian, the National Zoo, Chinatown, Yellowstone. The aquarium is a regular event. He sees a lot and he learns a lot. But sometimes there are simple, basic things that he doesn't know about and I'm caught off guard.
OK, so let's get this straight. I'm darn proud that Aidan didn't know what Little Debbie or what vending machines are but it still reminded me that he misses out on basic things.
The truck was in front of us this morning when we were waiting to enter the New Circle entrance ramp. It had pictures on the back of dancing swiss cake rolls and oatmeal cream pies. So he says, "Hey, Mommy, do they make chocolate milk and pancakes?" I tell him no, those are Little Debbie cakes. They make cakes that come in plastic and are sold in vending machines. "What's a vending machine?" I explain that you put money in, push a button, and it gives you cakes. "To eat?" I confirmed.
Then there are several questions about what kinds of cakes they make. A few minutes later we pass the truck on New Circle Road, he sees this on the the side of the truck, and Aidan yells happily, "Mommy! They have rolled up donuts! They have donuts!"
Innocence lost. I wonder how long it will be before he no longer eats broccoli.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
They are rolled up donuts---how astute is he!
Post a Comment