Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Texas Butterflies

As we approach our move in 3 weeks, I find myself desperately working on the final stages of the dissertation. We've been hiring sitters randomly to steal time that Jason can help with my analyses. I find myself saying, "After we move to Texas" quite often.

Like yesterday, Aidan and I were watching TV and for the hundredth time he asked for a butterfly kit. Each time he's asked I've explained that we'd have to wait for the kit to come, then it takes a long time for the caterpillars to grow and then to become butterflies, etc. And this is just something we'd have to do in Texas because we don't have enough time to do it in Kentucky. So we've had this conversation but this time he asked something different.

"Are we leaving for Texas in ten days?"

"No, we're leaving in twenty-three days."

"Well, that butterfly garden only takes ten days. Can we get it?"

So then I'm explaining that it only takes ten days for the caterpillars to turn but then they have to live for three weeks in the cage before you release them. Besides, don't you want to release them in our backyard in Texas so that you might see them sometimes? And that was enough for him. He decided to remind me when we get to Lubbock.

No comments: