Monday, January 29, 2007

Nobody's Perfect

Lately I've been working very long hours. Jason has really taken on the supportive role by taking care of Aidan's needs, cleaning up, doing laundry, etc. Very helpful, that one! We've struggled with this issue because I'm sometimes reluctant to let Jason take over. He often complains that I don't trust him. This claim has caused me to really take an inventory on whether my distrust is rooted in reality. Am I just scared to hand over the reigns because I'm scared he'll do it better than I do? This has been his suspicion. These days I'm far too busy to worry about it and I've just relinquished the responsibilities all together. The result? Well, you be the judge.

Overall Jason has been doing a wonderful job. He plays with Aidan so much that last night Aidan declined an offer to go to the YMCA because they were having so much fun at home. I was working upstairs and heard lots of running, screaming, growling, and laughing. I was later told that they were playing something called basket monster. Sounds like an interesting game.

On Friday Jason and Aidan bought birthday gifts for some of Aidan's friends. He did a great job but finally got to see how difficult buying gifts for little girls can be. Jason never buys gifts. Not even for family at holidays. He has no idea how this process goes down. It was nice to hand that over to him.

So, now that you've read some of the positives about Jason's new found responsibilities, I'll let you in on some of the "typical Daddy" events. On Saturday they had cinnamon toast for dinner. Aidan apparently had 5 pieces. Cinnamon toast. For dinner. Jason's excuse was that it was 7 grain bread and flax based butter. It was cinnamon toast.

Last night they went to the store to purchase much needed items before Jason's quick business trip to Philly. When they returned Jason asked me to look up the weather (it was the first time any of us had been out all day) because it seemed really cold out and people were staring at them in their light jackets. It was 12 degrees. Yep, even the best husbands made those same little mistakes that make you not want to hand over the responsibilities except in extreme emergencies.

I will say that Aidan has been in heaven. When his daddy plays with him, there is no happier boy in the world. Aidan makes up the games and Daddy just goes along even when the rules change, as they frequently do. In the grand scheme of things, he's a really good daddy. I just wish he'd worry about the small stuff a little more. Just to get Jason going, I plan to let Aidan sleep with me tonight while Jason is gone. He'll hate that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you instigater, you!