Tonight we are hosting Aidan's little friend for the evening. Aidan has asked several times to have friends over to play, so we set up a deal with some friends from our old playgroup that we'd watch theirs while they go out this week and then we'll switch next week. Aidan's friend is 5 months older than Aidan. I'm not entirely sure if it's the age difference or if Aidan is just poorly behaved, but it's been an interesting evening.
First of all, Aidan is aggressive when he decides he doesn't want to share. My take on it is that when they are playing with the other kid's toys next week, the tables will turn and the other kid will be possessive of his own stuff. Jason is concerned that our child is just aggressive. I have to say that, in general, he shares pretty well when we've had him in other situations. I really feel that it's just the fact that they are his own toys. A few more times of sharing his toys with friends and I think he'll be a different child. At least, I hope so.
Another general difference, that I think I can chalk up to age, is Aidan's remaining baby characteristics. Whenever Aidan has gotten hungry or irritated, he cries and whines. Whenever his friend has an issue, he just tells us. I'm looking forward to not having to constantly remind Aidan to ask instead of cry. Of course, the friend's five months has awarded him with excellent verbal skills that Aidan has yet to master.
Hopefully Aidan will say he enjoyed playing with his friend and we'll have him over again. It's really been easy to have them both, with the exception of Aidan's poor behavior. Honestly it makes me want to have this kid over more often so that Aidan can learn to share and play together. Jason made the comment that since Aidan's teacher is still out on leave, things may be out of control there and Aidan may not be getting proper social training there. Again, something we'll just have to work through. It's just so hard to deal with in your toddler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Let Aidan pick out the toys ahead of time that he is willing to share, and then when selfishness rears its ugly head, remind him that these are the "sharing toys".
We let our darling son keep toys in his room that he didn't want to share with the kids I babysat. And they were not allowed in his room unless invited (very rare).
It's wasn't perfect, but it helped a lot.
Post a Comment