Thursday, December 14, 2006

Early Morning Cuddle

Aidan was home with Daddy last night while I went out for Mom's Sanity Night. I don't go every week, but I go when I can. It's nice to hang out with other moms away from home, but I sure miss my boys. By the time I got home it was late and everyone was in bed, so I really only got to see Aidan for about 30 minutes last night.

This morning I woke up to Aidan's sweet little voice calling out, "Mommy!" I thought Jason was with him and I tried to listen to see whether he'd bring Aidan to me. All I heard was more "Mommy!" I got up to go to Aidan and found him in the doorway of our bedroom, leaning against the wall, wearing his shirt from yesterday. (What's with this inability to put pjs on a child, anyway?) I swooped him up and he immediately started asking for gooky. I distracted him by taking him into our room for a little snuggle. He was partially hungry but also missing his mommy, so the early morning snuggle went a long way to helping us reconnect.

It was so cold in the house this morning. Which is funny since it's a very warm day today. It was so nice to snuggle up together under those covers and snooze. It's funny to me that one of our many early issues was that Aidan had to be held at all times. He would not allow anyone to put him down without a loud, ear splitting howl. Now that he's older I crave it. I can't wait to hold him after school or before bed. When I'm mindful about it, I can remember what it's like to be his age. How perfect everything appears from the security of Mommy's embrace.

Last night when I got into bed I asked Jason what they did together. He rattled off a short list that included playing football in the house. Gee, I thought we wanted to teach Aidan 1) not to throw things in the house 2) not to play ball in the house. Jason's tendency to bend the rules for special circumstances (i.e., playing ball inside when it's cold outside) or for himself (i.e., throwing toys in a toy box across the room when he's putting them "away") has led to a bit of a parenting problem.

Because I call Jason out on these issues as it happens (and he, of course, ignores me), Aidan has decided that I must be Daddy's Mommy. So whenever Jason does something that Aidan either doesn't like or wants Daddy in trouble for, Aidan will tell on him. Sometimes Aidan will even make up stories about things Daddy has done. The tattling is usually followed with, "Give Daddy time out, Mommy!" While I personally find this adorable, we do have to come up with some middle ground so that Aidan doesn't continue to think I'm parenting his daddy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the cutest thing ever! I love it.

I won't be in tomorrow. I feel like crap and hoping if I stay home another day I'll be able to go to the big "O" Saturday.

Have a good weekend!