Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Rapidly Approaching Holiday

Well, Christmas is literally next week. I think we're all done with our shopping. Just one or two more packages to mail off and there's really no big hurry for that. Although Aidan was really excited about the holidays just after Thanksgiving when the decorations went up, I think it's all just become a way of life at this point.

Each morning he wakes up and immediately asks "Do my ornament?" He means place his ornament on his Advent Christmas Tree. I'm worried that once Tuesday comes he'll have a hard time adjusting to not doing his ornament. Or maybe it will be withdrawal from the candy in each pocket. Although most days he doesn't eat the candy. He just carries it around or takes a couple of licks and then tosses it (it's mostly suckers). He definitely eats the Tootsie Rolls. Those he loves.

We're not having a huge blowout Christmas for him like some families do. I figure there will be plenty of time for that if we ever want to do that. He's getting his one big gift from Santa with accessories and a few things in his stocking. From Mommy and Daddy he's just getting some Little People stuff and that's it. Since Aidan loves his Little People animals so much, I figured Noah's Ark would be perfect for him since it comes with mostly animals. Plus Nathan, Landon, and Nolan gave Aidan additional animals to go with it when they visited on Sunday.

He'll have a lot of fun with his new animals. When Mommy plays, we pretend that the farmer is feeding and tending to the animals. Sometimes the animals ride on the trailer behind the tractor. The animals run around the barnyard. I suspect it's somewhat different when Daddy plays. I was tipped off to this yesterday when I overheard them talking. What I heard was this: "Well, I don't know if an elephant would eat a person but if he was hungry enough he might." So much for peaceful coexistence. Contrary to the stories in the Bible, the ark might be pure chaos at our house!

Speaking of religious stories, Aidan has been running around our house for days singing, "Dayenu." He learned the song at Seder and seems to be quite attached to it. Uncle Paul will be so proud! He goes through periods where he'll sing it for a while. He's not religious-specific in his favorite songs. Last night his song of choice was "Jingle Bells", while Jason's favorite was "The Grinch Song." They both sang their perspective songs while Aidan splashed around in the tub.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's time to learn a dreidyl song.