Wednesday, January 24, 2007

He's So Big!

I can't help it but I'm so impressed by Aidan's language ability. I have no idea if he's advanced or if he's right on target, but I love it. Just around the holidays we were commenting to people that we suspected a big language development was around the corner. He gets into these periods where suddenly he's having trouble communicating and then a few weeks later we notice a huge change. My theory is that he has a period where his ideas surpass his communication so that he lacks the words he needs. It must take a few weeks to catch up and then, the next thing you know, he's using complete sentences.

He's been communicating complete ideas for quite a while. Now he's really using complete sentences consistently. This morning Jason was getting dressed. He'd put on a sock and then say, "Am I dressed?" Aidan would reply with no and then tell him what he needed to put on. At one point Aidan said, "No, Daddy. You need to put a shirt on." Just like that. Very clearly and completely. Like a big boy. Again, he could be months behind his peers, but I'm so impressed!

Jason commented last night that we're Aidan's very best friends. I think he's right and I don't know how to feel about that. Aidan has friends from school and he knows the other kids whose parents we see from time to time. But really, he's ecstatic to see us at the end of the day. We're always playing together. He tells me that he misses me when he's at school. He even asks me every night to sleep with him (luckily, his bed is too small).

On the one hand, it's probably OK that we're his best friends. These are the relationships that will teach him how to treat his other friends, how to have future relationships, etc. He's really too young to choose his own friends at this point. But the other night he said something horrible to me. He said, "I want a brother!" OMG! How much longer can I continue to say no? We've got to get this kid some play dates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll be his best friend until he's close to teenhood---then you will totally suck and just be a parent---and then when he leaves home you're friends again, but in a whole new way. You become the friend and the parent.

Anonymous said...

So, whats wrong with a brother or sister.????