Our boy is very creative. He tells the funniest stories, some of which might be true and others that clearly are not. This morning I asked him if a mosquito bit him on the forehead and he said, "No. Becca hit me." Later he tried to poke Jason in the eye and Jason grabbed his hand, maybe a little hard to communicate his unhappiness, but not hard enough to hurt. Aidan ran into the bathroom where I was, held his hand up, and said, "Daddy hit me." In the case of Rebecca, we know this is not a true statement. Rebecca hasn't been here in weeks. In the case of Daddy, well, it is partially true. Maybe Aidan doesn't have the words necessary to complain to Mommy about what Daddy did. Yesterday he had a plastic knife shaped like a shark (it's not really a knife, it's made for little kids and has no sharp edges) to cut his waffles. He had big tears running down his face and when I asked him what happened he said, "Shark bit me!" Not entirely inaccurate. The shark hurt him in some way-- maybe he poked himself with it or something. These interpretations are difficult. And knowing when it's a total fabrication (like when he tells us something about school) and when it's a situation where he just doesn't have the vocabulary. Boy, do we need more words and signs!
Aidan's Halloween costume came in the mail yesterday. He's going to be Shamu. Here is a picture of the costume from the catalog. I'm sure we'll be posting a picture on Halloween. I never thought I'd dislike Halloween so much as I do this year. Kids' holidays now bring with them such stress! He'll get candy at school, from neighbors and friends, from trick or treating. One house after another will be giving him Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Boston baked peanuts, peanut M&Ms, Snickers, etc. What doesn't have nuts is often made in the same factory or even on the same equipment. It's horrifying! Jason's plan is to carry a "nut candy" bag. When something goes in his bucket that could kill him, we'll remove it and put it in our bag. That way if we miss something going into his mouth on the trip, it'll definitely be something safe. Not that I've ever been a lazy parent, but I sure would like to not have to be so neurotic about food. The poor kid already has hand washing issues and asthma-- the last thing he needs is a food allergy. Paul Rosen says he's the perfect Jewish child born to the perfectly neurotic mother and the conspiracy-theory believing father. Paul thinks we should just convert!
Although this is "vacation season" for us and we'll be leaving in a week for DC and then NYC not long after that, I'll try to keep up with the blog. Jason usually gets internet access at the hotels, so it shouldn't be a problem. This week might be slow because I have a lot of work to do before we leave. Can't wait, though, to write about all of our DC adventures!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment