Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tattoos, Neighs, and Bites

Lots of stuff going on with Aidan in the last 24 hours. Yesterday I stopped by Kroger (like I do most days) to pick up some sushi for lunch and saw on the clearance table Sesame Street temporary tattoos! Knowing that Aidan is like his mommy, I knew he'd love them so I got all they had left. When I got home last night we put a cookie monster on his left arm and a Bert on his right hand. Whenever you point at them he'll name them, "Cookie" and "Berp". It's very cute. He'd periodically stop whatever he was doing to look at them. He was just fascinated and couldn't wait to show them off this morning when we got to school.

He's really teetering on those "terrible twos" lately and we've been responding to it. He clearly knows now what getting in trouble is all about and will push us just to see what will happen. The big one last night was standing on the dining room chair. We told him he could get on the chair if he was sitting on his butt or knees but he couldn't stand. You'd think that he wouldn't be able to understand all of that but he clearly does. When I would turn my back he'd pop up on his feet just long enough to reach something across the table and then pop back down on his knees. Of course, he got a warning each time and then the last time he had to get down with a stern explanation of why. He didn't even care. He knew that would happen if he pushed, he just wanted to see how far he could push!

Just recently Aidan learned the sound the horse makes, "Neigh." He's really processing this information in a pretty elaborate way. Instead of saying "horse" whenever he sees one, he says "Neigh" instead. And anything that looks remotely like a horse gets that description as well. For example, he knows the sound a cow makes (or at least he used to) but he still neighs at it when he sees it. Of course, we correct it when he does that but he has this dragon toy...what sound does the dragon make? Well, we know that it most likely does not neigh, so it does need to be corrected. It might roar but whenever Jason roared it scared Aidan and he wouldn't play with it anymore. So the roar isn't a good idea. So this got us to thinking...does anyone know what sound the dragon makes? Where does the dragon myth come from anyway? China? I need to ask some of my Chinese friends what sound the dragon makes. I wonder if that's part of the legend. If anyone knows the answer to this, please let us know!

This morning when I took my tattooed, neighing toddler into school they tell me that he has been very aggressive and biting lately. He tries to bite the teachers now. Of course, I was horrified because he's been doing much better at home. They tell me that they are taking some special steps to try to get him to stop. His main teacher says that it's a phase only but one that we have to get under control (obviously), so we'll do what we have to do. I told her we'd be willing to do whatever we need to in order to help them get things under control too. It's always something, huh?

No comments: