Aidan has this new game with Daddy where Daddy puts a blanket over them both and they call it a "tent." Aidan drives us crazy asking for it, so last night I asked Jason to set up Aidan's turtle tent. He got it for his birthday from his girlfriend Sadie (the hot redhead, as Grandpa calls her). Jason set it up in the middle of the living room and Aidan had a ball! He sat in it, rolled around in it, asked Daddy to get in, etc. This morning he sat in it and watched KET while I got ready. Some of my other friends with kids his age were talking about how their kids are starting to hide. It's funny how they all start to do the same things at the same time.
We're having issues at school again, this time with other kids. Friday and Monday he came home with scratches on his face from the same little girl. It seems that this little girl is somewhat aggressive and just bullies the other kids. Aidan apparently is the only one who takes up for himself and then they end up in a fight, usually ending in scratches or bites on one of them. So here I was talking to the teachers today about what to do. On the one hand, we don't want him to be aggressive. On the other hand, shouldn't he learn to take up for himself? Won't he have to learn to navigate difficult people in the world regardless? As long as he's not gushing blood I'm ok with the scratches and marks. I just don't want him to get into trouble at school or to turn into an aggressive kid because he's modeling the behavior of other kids. Fortunately, the teachers said that he responds to their discipline when needed. I've actually seen this other little girl go into timeout unphased when she gets into trouble. It makes you wonder what's going on at home, huh?
Other than the fighting at school, we were just commenting last night on how happy our little guy is. He just laughs and plays and has so much fun! As I was watching SuperNanny on TV, I was telling Jason how I believe negativity in the home perpetuates negativity. If we structure their environment in such a way that he will be rewarded repeatedly and punished rarely, the result is positive discipline and a positive child. We're already seeing little fits and signs of the "terrible twos" coming on, where he's definitely testing our boundaries. It will be challenging to reward only the positive behavior and ignore the negative, but so far we've been able to mostly pull it off. This parenting thing is so interesting. It's so much like a dissertation...only with bigger stakes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment