Wednesday, April 19, 2006

His Many Transitions

I'm pretty sure Aidan knows that we are leaving town. We've been talking about it frequently and Sabrina was over last night and we were talking about it then too. He also has heard me tell his teachers that we'll be gone for the first two days of next week, please let me know if he needs supplies. This morning I was in the shower and he came in there with Nana's picture. He was just carrying it around. Then he got very upset when I took it away so that we could brush our teeth. I sat it upright so that he could look at it while he brushed and he pointed at it and said, "Nana!" He must know she's coming soon. The other thing is that he's been a little clingy like he's afraid I'm leaving for a while. So he knows something is up, he just doesn't know when.

Last night when Sabrina came Aidan was very excited. When she knocked on the door we asked him who it was and Jason said, "Brina!" I haven't seen Aidan light up like that in quite a while. He was so happy to see her! Sabrina said that while we were gone he told her that he loves her for the first time! He really does adore her. He's so lucky to have Sabrina. We have to keep her from getting married so that she'll be single when Aidan gets old enough!

Aidan is so funny at bedtime about the nursing. After the bath we nurse in the chair, after which I tell him that the milk and the boobies have to go "night night." We encourage him to say "night night" so that he gets that closure before moving on to book and sleep. A couple of nights ago he was having a particularly difficult time getting closure. For about 30 minutes after our nursing session had ended, he kept going back to my shirt, opening the top, looking down, and saying, "Bye, bye. Night, night" over and over again. Then he'd wave. He just seemed to need that extra time to process and transition. I have to say that it's pretty darn cute!

No comments: