Thursday, April 20, 2006

Measuring Our Lives With Coffee Spoons

The title of this post is a line from my favorite poem. It sets the tone for how one task after another leads to another, and time rushes past us. It's amazing how fast our days and weeks and months are going by. Aidan is looking more and more like a little boy and less like a baby all the time. Yesterday after school he had a great time playing outside with Mary. When I got home I saw Mary and Aidan in the wagon with Jason pulling it (and them) down the sidewalk. Mary is Aidan's very best friend. Sometimes I worry that he loves her more us!

Last night Jason and I finally decided to go for a run (we've been talking about getting back into running for some time now) and loaded Aidan up into the jogging stroller. We did pretty well for our first time out in a while and Aidan did great in the stroller. My hope is that we can be a jogging family who exercises together everyday. I remember a family from when I was a kid who ran long distances together. I don't know if I want to be that family, but I do want to be an active, healthy family. I know that Jason has a similar mindset. If we get Aidan started early, maybe he'll be interested in sports. And maybe we'll be able to avoid many of the health issues that are plaguing the children in this country. We already have been struck with asthma and peanut allergy, we don't want to invite obesity, diabetes, and other immune disorders.

This morning we woke up to the Sesame Street soundtrack. It was handed down from Rebecca and has all the fav Sesame Street classics. Aidan loves to dance to it and sometimes sings too. Again this morning we brushed our teeth together-- he's such a good brusher! Really he still mostly chews and sucks off the flavored toothpaste but it's something. As he gets older he tries harder to imitate us, so my hope is that he'll slowly figure out how to do it correctly.

We're on the home stretch for leaving town. I can already tell that I'll miss Aidan a whole lot more this time than the last time we left him. I don't know why. Maybe because I feel like he's more aware now. At least he'll be at home with Nana where everything is familiar. And he'll still be going to school. I've already decided to take off next Wednesday, the day after we get back, to spend with him.

No comments: