Thursday, April 05, 2007

I Dream of Sleep

There's nothing more disturbing than a child's desperate screams in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, we've become quite immune to it over the last 2 1/2 years. Although he doesn't seem to have "night terrors" these days, he does have somewhat disturbing dreams.

At sometime around 5 AM we heard his screams start. It always starts with a loud and assertive, "No!" Followed by more of the same and sometimes descriptions of what he is dreaming of. Whenever we go in to address him, he cannot wake up. We can touch him, talk to him, even pick him up, and he stays in his dream state the entire time. Even if he is responding to us.

When I went in to try to "help" him this morning, he told me over and over "Daddy won't let me do that ride." This apparently really upset him. He must have really wanted to "do that ride." After I couldn't help and he continued to scream for 45 minutes, I asked Jason to bring Aidan into our room to sleep so that we could all get an hour or so more snoozing time. When Aidan was plopped into our bed he woke up and freaked out. "Daddy took me out of my bed! Daddy took me out of my bed!" Of course, Jason took him back into his room and in moments he was back to sleep without his active dreaming.

When he finally woke up around 9 AM, I asked him about his dreams. He said a tiger tried to bite him and it hurt. He also told me that Daddy wouldn't let him play. And that his friends at school were scratching him. Jason says that 80% of dreams are negative in nature, partly because they stem from our anxiety. Poor little Aidan is cursed with remembering most of his nightmares.

No comments: