Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Potty Prejudice

Aidan hates our potty. That's the only logical reason that he would be so averse to using it. I don't really get it. It's just a white toilet with a colorful blue and green cushy kid seat on it. He has a stool for getting on and off. What's so bad about our potty? He likes the school potty. He's done extremely well at school. Friday he went the entire day in the potty. Monday he again went the entire day with no wet diapers or pull-ups. But this expert potty behavior does not extend to home.

We've gotten him to use it in the morning. But mostly through reward. Today I had to promise popcorn on the way to school. At times he'll agree to sit and then start screaming as he gets closer to it. Once we get him on there he'll go with little effort and then we'll all laugh about the fact that he was so upset and it was so easy to just sit down and go. I feel terrible that we make him sit when he's upset but he's all gung-ho about it and then doesn't start to resist until we get to the potty. Sometimes he will just refuse to go even if I promise reward. He seems to be unhappy with the reward contingency in general, as if he's some kind of communist or something. I try to tell him that his mother's career is based on a capitalist economy, but I don't think he really understands. Maybe I should wait until kindergarten to introduce free markets and capitalism.

1 comment:

token said...

So all that pressure we read about in the olden days was just too much praise?