Friday, May 19, 2006

Aidan's Graduation

Last night was Aidan's graduation from the "Beginners" class to the "Toddler" class at school. I picked him up just after 5 pm and took him to eat at Fazoli's, where Daddy met us. We were running really late getting back, the presentation started at 6. We ran in and I found his class already lined up ready to go into the auditorium. When I handed him off he began to cry and hold on to my leg. I decided to stay there with him until he walked in with his class. We really should have gotten him there earlier so that he could be ready for the presentation. When they walked up to the stage and sat down he looked extremely unhappy. He didn't do any of the dances and just frowned the entire time. At the very end, on the last line of "If you're happy and you know it" he stomped his feet on cue. Other than that, totally not interested. When they were finished he ran down the aisle to his Daddy's arms. Next time we need to get him there a little earlier.

I'm a little bit stressed about the transition to the new classroom but he doesn't move until the day after Labor Day, so we can relax until then. The transition is difficult for me too with having to learn about a new teacher and new procedures and all of that. Jason just goes with it. I guess we know where Aidan got this aspect of his disposition.

This morning Aidan was in a great mood and ran into his classroom laughing when I dropped him off. At home he had slept a little later than usual, so that may have contributed to his good mood. I put some new videos in the car to watch since he seems to be partial to novelty. Whereas other kids seem to love repetition, watching the same videos over and over again, Aidan gets bored very quickly with videos he's seen before. Luckily, we've inherited lots of videos from Rebecca, so for now he's all set!

No comments: