Wednesday, May 17, 2006

No Surgery For Aidan

The big news today is that we canceled Aidan's surgery that was scheduled for Monday. When I took him originally the doctor had told me that he was borderline and that it was really a matter of choice since he was only slightly impaired in one ear and he's talking normally. This, of course, prompted Jason to research the risks and benefits. Also, the form from the Audiologist that performed the hearing test recommended a recheck. The factor that swayed my opinion into choosing the surgery was when the doctor said that the only other alternative was antihistime, which would probably not work. Our research (see below) reveals that Aidan's case may not warrant such extreme measures.

Jason's research revealed that this procedure gives a very temporary benefit (6-12 months) but carries a 33% risk of permanent hearing loss in the long term. When a child is like Aidan, where his hearing impairment is mild, it is recommended that he be examined and reevaluated frequently for up to 3 months. In cases like his it is often the case that the situation corrects itself within 3 months. In most cases (even severe ones) the situation usually corrects itself within a year anyway. The only children who see long term speech effects are those who have severe hearing loss due to the fluid. A bigger issue to me (and I think to Jason too) is that 90% of kids have fluid in their ears most of the time. This makes me wonder why the fluid in the ears issue is considered abnormal. By definition, it is normal. Also, the doctor told me that Aidan's fluid level is much lower than most of the kids he sees. Therefore, we've decided to put it off for a few months to see whether it gets better or worse. If it gets worse, we'll decide then.

Another thing taking up our time is the ongoing kitchen remodel, which is going well. Jason and I are both pretty excited about it but still a little nervous too. I'm looking forward to the dishwasher most of all. Sometime after Aidan was born I swore off dishes, so Jason has been my dishwasher. Unfortunately, that sometimes means that dishes sit for a few days before he can get to them. Luckily, we didn't have to worry about bottles!

I think everyone now knows that we are planning Aidan's birthday celebration. I'm not sure of the exact date of the party, but I'm sure it will be the weekend after his birthday. We just found out that Aunt Cass and Cousin Rebecca are coming, as are Grandma Agett and Grandpa Bill. Possibly Grandpa Lenny will be here, I think that's still up in the air. I'm certain Nana will be coming. Uncle Stevie and Uncle Todd (and Jennifer) are not expected. And I'm not sure about Papaw Steve, he'll be here if he can be! All family and friends are welcome!

Lastly, I'm adding a couple of pictures by popular demand. Unfortunately, these are just a couple that I took with my camera one morning last week so they are not of great quality.

No comments: