Wednesday, May 31, 2006

In Search of Health and Happiness

Well, we got up at 5:30 AM to run for the first time in a very long time. Jason are trying to get back on that wagon that we fell off of many, many months ago. We stopped running regularly early in my pregnancy and since then we've tried to run off and on but have been unsuccessful at keeping a regular schedule. For the past couple of months and particularly since the kitchen remodel began, we've been eating like crap too. Lately we've tried to run in the evenings but it's getting too hot for that. Our most success in the past has come with early morning runs, so this morning we all got out of bed super early and took off!

For the first day it went ok, I guess. Aidan was completely surprised to find Daddy picking him up and taking him outside from a dead sleep. He screamed pretty much the whole time, which really disrupts that whole zen thing you get with an early morning run. Since I am not much of a morning person-- as anyone who has ever seen me in the morning can testify-- the screaming served as punishment. It wasn't enough to have to get myself out there this morning, I had to listen to the screamer and battle the post traumatic stress disorder that I already have from his colic days. I've decided that he'll get used to it. We will give it some time. I haven't decided how much time, but we'll see. I keep telling myself that this family running is important for my overall healthy family platform.

Last night at bedtime Aidan was getting unruly and accidentally stuck his finger in my eye. It hurt pretty bad but I also played it up a little in an effort to elicit some empathy from a self-centered toddler. Although self-centeredness is developmentally appropriate for his age, we sometimes encourage him to experience empathy for practice. So there I was, with my hand over my eye, screaming in agony. Aidan didn't realize what was going on at first or he was ignoring me, I don't know which. Finally he recognized my pain, came over, and kissed my eye! Then he kissed me on the mouth. He just kept kissing my boo-boo over and over again and hugging my neck tightly. He did it all by himself! So then Jason says, "He has never done that with me! I'm jealous! It makes me want to poke myself in the eye!" Oh, the rewards for all of those late night nursings!

Another loving thing Aidan does with me is run toward me to kiss me goodbye when he's leaving with Daddy. Jason says he doesn't do that with him. What Jason doesn't realize is all the things they share that Aidan doesn't want from me. Aidan hates the way I play ball with him. Daddy can kick it way up in the air, all the way to the moon (as Aidan believes). Also, when Jason and Aidan go somewhere Aidan runs to kiss me goodbye and doesn't look back but when I take Aidan somewhere he asks for Daddy the whole time!

This morning when I dropped Aidan off at school we went to the new classroom and there were no kids. When we walked to the cafeteria to find them, he saw his new teacher and got a huge grin on his face. I put him down and he just said, "bye, bye." When I got to the end of the hallway I looked back at him and he was just standing there, talking to his friends. Just sort of "hanging out." He's such a big boy!

I'm told that every Friday this summer will be swimming day at school. Also, they are going to have a Kangaroo and an Emu there at some point. It's all part of their Australia theme for summer. Yesterday he came home with an Aussie hat, a plastic boomerang, and a themed t-shirt. They seem to be having a really good time. He has his own seat in the classroom and his own "kangaroo print" with his name on it to stand on when he lines up with his class. It's so much like preschool, I'm impressed with the classrooms for the older kids. He's now called a "Little Learner." The last class was the "Beginners" and was more like daycare.

No comments: